COLUMBUS – Yesterday, the United States Senate Select Committee on Intelligence issued a report about Russian active measures campaigns and interference in the 2016 U.S. election. The following is a statement from Secretary LaRose in response to that report:
“We’ve known for a long time that foreign actors attempted to corrode public confidence in our democracy through a variety of methods. This is why we’ve moved aggressively to meet this threat head-on. I hope that other states will follow Ohio’s lead and implement the necessary, multi-layered tactics to protect our election systems and preserve public confidence in the democratic process. The bad guys only have to be right once. We have to be right every time.”
Since coming into office in January 2019, Secretary LaRose has taken the following steps to enhance election system security and strengthen public confidence in elections:
- Promoting the passage of SB 52 in the Ohio legislature – a bill which, among other things, will create a first-in-the-nation cyber-reserve force.
- Issuing a robust security directive will provide a strong defense for Ohio’s 88 Boards of Elections, the Secretary of State’s office, and our private sector elections infrastructure partners. The aggressive posture Ohio is taking under LaRose’s leadership has made us an example for the rest of the nation to follow. This directive will be implemented in all 88 counties by the end of January 2020.
- BACKGROUND HERE: www.ohiosos.gov/media-center/press-releases/2019/2019-06-11/
- ASSOCIATED PRESS ARTICLE: apnews.com/1d6ae34cf5104f6bb697209698d14f08
- Actively combating the disinformation campaigns from foreign actors, the Secretary partnered with Democratic Michigan Secretary of State Jocelyn Benson, to launch a nationwide effort aimed at strengthening trust in elections. This bipartisan taskforce places Secretaries nationwide at the front of the effort to fight election-related disinformation. Their mission is preserving public confidence and encouraging civic engagement.
- BACKGROUND HERE: medium.com/@secretary_91872/task-force-to-restore-and-ensure-the-public-trust-in-elections-8ceb6e7c