COLUMBUS – Ohioans continue to create new businesses at an impressive pace, reaching 17,387 in June 2021. In just the first six months of 2021, Ohio has surpassed 111,000 new business filings. Five years ago in 2016, it took an entire year for Ohioans to create 105,009 new businesses.
“While these numbers are certainly impressive, what’s far more important is the outcome that comes from an entrepreneur taking a risk and creating a business. They’re earning a living for their families and contributing to their communities by creating jobs and delivering goods and services,” said LaRose. “They have faced adversity with the same grit and creativity that has always defined Ohio entrepreneurs, following their passion to be a business owner.”
Establishing a new business in Ohio has become increasingly quick and easy through the Ohio Secretary of State’s Ohio Business Central website, OhioBusinessCentral.gov. Ohio’s business-friendly climate and the array of resources available to Ohio entrepreneurs has helped Ohio break new business filing records every month in 2021.
NOTE: New business filings are classified as forms filed with the Ohio Secretary of State that declare the formation of a business entity, including for-profit, non-profit and professional corporations, limited liability companies, partnerships, limited partnerships and limited liability partnerships. Filing as a business in Ohio does not guarantee the company will begin operations, be profitable or create jobs.
- 17,387 new businesses were created in Ohio in June 2021
- 111,435 new businesses have been created in the first six months of 2021
- In 2016, 105,009 new businesses were created over the course of the entire 12-month period
- New business filings in 2020 totaled 171,073, beating 2019’s previous record of 130,621
- Ohio entrepreneurs can visit OhioSoS.gov/BusinessResources to discover the helpful opportunities available to them that can help them start and grow their business