Early in November, Ohioans broke the annual new business filings record set in 2020 with almost two full months remaining to create a new business. With data for November now final, the total number of new businesses created last month is 13,754, a 13 percent increase over last November’s filing numbers. Ohioans have so far submitted a total of 184,494 new business filings this year. Last year’s record for all of 2020 was 171,073 new filings.
“Ohio entrepreneurs aren’t slowing down,” said Ohio Secretary of State Frank LaRose. “Through midnight on December 31, a record is being broken every time a new business is created in Ohio. As we prepare for the end-of-year surge in new filings, our business services team will continue what they’ve been doing – providing Ohio entrepreneurs with the quality service they’ve come to expect.”
Establishing a new business in Ohio has become increasingly quick, easy, and inexpensive through the Ohio Secretary of State’s Ohio Business Central website, OhioBusinessCentral.gov. Ohio’s business-friendly climate and the array of resources available to Ohio entrepreneurs have helped Ohio maintain our economic momentum throughout 2021.
NOTE: New business filings are classified as forms filed with the Ohio Secretary of State that declare the formation of a business entity, including for-profit, non-profit and professional corporations, limited liability companies, partnerships, limited partnerships and limited liability partnerships. Filing as a business in Ohio does not guarantee the company will begin operations, be profitable or create jobs.
- 13,754 new businesses were created in Ohio in November 2021
- 184,494 new businesses have been created in the first 11 months of 2021
- New business filings in November of this year show a 13 percent increase over November 2020 filings (12,181)
- Total new businesses created through November 2021 (184,494) represent an 8 percent increase over last year’s record setting 171,073 new businesses
- Ohio entrepreneurs can visit OhioSoS.gov/BusinessResources to discover the helpful opportunities available to them that can help them start and grow their business