Stopping HR 1
- Ohio Secretary of State Frank LaRose continued to voice his strong opposition to HR 1 -- the effort by DC politicians to take over state-run elections. This week marked the first hearing for the resolution opposing HR 1 recommended by Secretary LaRose and introduced by the state legislature took place this week. Read the Secretary’s testimony to the House State and Local Government Committee (PDF).
- The Secretary joined NBC 4’s Colleen Marshall to discuss the continuous work Ohio has done to ensure honest elections, his legislative priorities, and the harm federal election mandates proposed in HR 1 would cause. Watch the full interview here.
- Also this week, Secretary LaRose spoke with FoxNews.com about his strong opposition to the untenable provisions in HR 1 and to educate the public about the disastrous ramifications of this legislation. Read the full article here.
- Finally, the Secretary highlighted a new article on twitter that discussed the significant concerns by both Democrat and Republican election officials in regards to HR 1. Check out his full thread here.
Supporting Ohio Businesses
- Secretary LaRose submitted testimony to the Ohio Senate Small Business and Economic Opportunity Committee in support of SB 105. This new legislation will cut red-tape for entrepreneurs seeking Minority Business Enterprise (MBE) certifications -- allowing them to reach the full range of resources with fewer bureaucratic difficulties. The Secretary is also advocating for amending the bill to include women- and veteran-owned businesses. Check out what other proponents are saying about this legislation.
- This month, the office is spotlighting women-owned businesses making an impact in our community. Secretary LaRose stopped by BrickHaven, Chillicothe’s first day spa and one of the businesses in the spotlight. He took a tour of the facility and talked with owner Stephanie Truitt about the ways they have adapted to the pandemic and what being a woman business owner means to her.
Important Election Dates and Reminders
- Deadline to register to vote for the May Primary: April 5th
- Early voting for the May Primary starts: April 6th
- Election Day for the May Primary: May 4th
- Secretary LaRose spoke at the Ohio X tech conference about the innovative work our office is pioneering including blustering election security.
- While in Chillicothe, the Secretary met with members of the Ross County Chamber of Commerce to discuss new business growth and sustainment in the area.
- The Secretary zoomed into a meeting of the Clermont County Chamber of Commerce to update them on the work being done at our office to support entrepreneurship statewide.
- The Secretary met with the leadership and toured the Wilmington Airpark, a major economic driver in the area.
- Secretary LaRose spoke to the Family Policy Leaders' Summit for the Ohio Christian Alliance.