1 Million Absentee Requests
This week, Ohio Secretary of State Frank LaRose announced that 1,000,579 absentee ballot applications have been received by county boards of elections statewide. This includes 14,253 requests from military and overseas voters whose absentee ballots will be mailed beginning Friday, September 18th. All other ballots will be mailed beginning October 6th. Click here to learn more.
Bartenders and Barbers Boosting Awareness!
Secretary LaRose visited Cleveland Heights to highlight efforts to boost voter registration and recruit poll workers. Owner Josh Sweet from Boss Dog Brewing, the 50th brewery to join the Raise a Glass to Democracy initiative, were joined by local barber Derrick Jackson who is joining the effort to recruit poll workers through Styling for Democracy. Now Vote!
The Eyes of the Nation are on O-H-I-O
As we come closer to the November Election, voters across the nation who are choosing to vote absentee for the first time have questions about the process. Secretary LaRose continues to remind Ohioans and Americans that it is safe and secure to vote absentee in Ohio!
LaRose Press Conference Provides Full Election Update
In a Statehouse press conference, Secretary LaRose gave an update on the preparations for the 2020 General Election, discussing the need for poll workers (listed by county at PollWorkerTracker.OhioSoS.gov), the push for paid postage for all absentee ballots, and what to expect on election night.
Staying On Task
The Ready for November Task Force focused on crisis communications and was joined by Shiobhan Gorman and Preston Golson from the Brunswick Group and Harvard’s Defending Digital Democracy Project. Additionally, Ed Leonard, Director of the Franklin County Board of Elections, shared the county’s progress and best practices processing absentee ballot request forms.
Secretary LaRose shared remarks to encourage Ohioans to always remember those we lost on September 11th, 2001 and to rededicate ourselves to uniting as a nation. Watch the full video here.
- Discussed the Ready for November plan with the Toledo Regional Chamber of Commerce during their Capitol Conversations virtual event.
- Joined The Ohio Society of CPA's podcast to promote poll worker recruitment and CPAs getting required continued education hours for working the polls. Click here to listen.
- Joined the Greater Cleveland Partnership Virtual Morning Conversation to discuss voting during a pandemic.
- Participated in the bi-monthly National Association of Secretaries of State Elections Committee call.
- Joined a panel discussion for the Leadership Ohio Alumni Association about election security.
- Zoomed into the Ohio Jobs and Family Services Directors’ Association Quarterly Meeting to talk about voter registration efforts.
- Pre-recorded a panel discussion with MI Secretary of State Benson for the upcoming USC Cybersecurity Initiative event in Michigan next week. Ohio hosted a similar event earlier this year.