Ohio's 55th Electoral College
- This week, Ohio's 55th Electoral College met, casting their 18 electoral votes for President Donald J. Trump and Vice President Mike Pence. Watch the full ceremony here.
A National Leader in Election Security
- The Secretary was presented with the SANS Institute 2020 Difference Makers Award. This prestigious annual award honors individuals and teams in the cybersecurity community who have made a measurable and significant difference in security. The Secretary noted his staff and the county boards that implemented Ohio’s new election security measures made this possible, saying "I’m honored to receive this on behalf of hundreds of election officials throughout the state as well as our world class cybersecurity team." SANS is a global leader in cyber security training and Secretary LaRose is the first-ever Secretary of State to receive this important recognition.
- During a hearing this week of the Senate Homeland Security and Government Affairs Committee, Senator Rob Portman brought up a key update instituted in Ohio, called “Albert Intrusion Sensors,” as part of our nationally-recognized cyber security efforts. This is just one way we boosted security ahead of 2020 to ensure votes are safe and results are accurate.
- Secretary LaRose warned Ohioans of a scam email circulating purporting to come from the Secretary of State’s office. Remember, any correspondence from our office will come from an official ".gov" email address. Be sure to avoid clicking on questionable links and for business and government entities receiving suspicious emails, remember to check with your IT department. Ohioans can contact our office at [email protected] with any questions.
Thank You Ohio Businesses
- Thanks in part to the generosity of Ohio businesses, county boards of elections were properly equipped to run a successful election during this global pandemic. Secretary LaRose released a video this week featuring these businesses and offering a “thank you” on behalf of a grateful state.
New Businesses Keep on Breaking Records
- More than 12,000 new Ohio businesses filed their registration in November. This is a 47% increase from the previous year! In his announcement the Secretary noted, “We all have heard ‘when one door closes, another one opens’ -- and with so many businesses suffering right now, we have seen Ohioans embrace new opportunities in record numbers to serve their communities. In these final days of the holiday season, search out local businesses in your community so you can help your neighbors grow their version of the American dream.”
Celebrating Hanukkah in a New Way
- Secretary LaRose joined Rabbi Kaltmann and Chabad Columbus for the lighting of the sixth menorah candle as a virtual Hanukkah celebration.
If interested in interviewing Secretary LaRose, please contact Maggie Sheehan at [email protected] or (301) 997-6107.