Annexation is a legal process by which some property in an unincorporated area of a township may become part of a neighboring city or village. This process is governed by Ohio Revised Code Chapter 709.
Pursuant to Revised Code Section 709.06 if the resolution or ordinance required by section 709.04 is an acceptance of a proposed annexation, the auditor or clerk of the municipal corporation must file documents with the county auditor, county recorder and the Secretary of State. Revised Code Section 111.16(H) states there is a fee of $5.00 to file a copy of papers evidencing an annexation of territory by a municipal corporation. Please make check or money order payable to “Ohio Secretary of State.”
The following items must be submitted on single-sided letter or legal size paper to ensure valid filing:
- Petition for Annexation (information required in petition such as Legal description of territory must be included – see Revised Code Section 709.39 for more information)
- Map or plat accompanying the petition
- Transcript of the proceedings of the board of county commissions
- Resolution and Ordinances in relation to annexation
- Certificate signed by the auditor or clerk and authenticated by seal of the municipal corporation to state that all documents are true and accurate.
- Five dollar filing fee.
Please mail all documents and fees to:
The Ohio Secretary of State
22 North Fourth Street
Columbus, OH 43215