Special Police Officers
Upon application of the company, the Secretary of State may appoint and commission special police officers for the following:
- Banks, Savings & Loan Associations, Saving Banks, Credit Unions, or associations therein (ORC 4973.17(A));
- Railroad Companies (ORC 4973.17(B));
- Companies under contract with the U.S. Atomic Energy Commission for construction/operation of a plant (ORC 4973.17(C));
- Hospitals (ORC 4973.17(D)) and,
- Amusement Parks (ORC 4973.17(E)).
Police Officers appointed pursuant to ORC 4973.17 hold the position for three years, unless otherwise revoked. The filing fee for this form is $15.
All commissions for Special Police Officers are placed in a database upon receipt and acceptance of the applications. Searches can be performed to locate Special Police Officers, including names, dates of commission and expiration, employer name and commission numbers.
To contact the office:
Ohio Secretary of State
180 Civic Center Dr.
Columbus, Ohio 43215